Home Insurance Coverage Has Separate Policies for the Structure and Your Personal Property

 In a homeowner’s insurance plan, all artificial objects not affixed to your property permanently are referred to as a separate structure. When reviewing your homeowner’s insurance, you may find a segment on separate structures insurance or other structures insurance. The coverage you have for these separate structures and amenities on your property is covered in that policy section.

Home Insurance Coverage Has Separate Policies for the Structure and Your Personal Property

What constitutes a separate structure?

Any artificial object or construction not inextricably linked to the home is a separate structure. Examples include a partible garage, isolated patio, driveway, fencing, gazebo, guest accommodation, letterbox, tool house, and swimming pool.

The language used to define other structures in a homeowner’s policy typically specifies a distinct distance separating the structure from the residence. Be aware that house insurance coverage does not always define swimming pools. Based on the insurance company, in-ground swimming pools may be covered as independent structures or as a part of a residence. Swimming pools that are above ground typically fall under personal belongings coverage.

What Is Protected Under Separate Structure Cover?

Insurance often covers the repair or restoration of specified separate structures as a result of events outside the homeowner’s control, though specific separate structures policies vary. These situations include:

  • Vandalism
  • Smoke harm
  • Tree or anything that has fallen
  • Fire harm
  • Lightning blows.
  • Burglary
  • Wind hazard
  • Storm damage

Following one of these incidents, be mindful that if you file a statement on a separate structure under your home insurance plan, the amount compensated may be determined by the replacement cost or real cash worth of the destroyed property. The price required to rebuild the damaged structure completely is known as the replacement cost.

What Does Separate Structure Cover Exempt?

Like other policies, a separate structure cover will not compensate you if the loss is from certain origins. Read your policy attentively to analyze these exemptions to avoid shocks when they occur. The insurer may not compensate you if the damage results from;

  • Earthquakes
  • progressive water damage from floods
  • personal effects
  • Pest invasion
  • common damage and deterioration

If your home is located in an area at high risk for these natural calamities, you may be able to obtain additional insurance coverage. This individual preference depends on your ability to pay the additional premiums and the possibility of disasters occurring. Many households may not have supplemental flood or earthquake coverage if they do not reside in high-risk flood areas or close to a fault line.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Call Now for Priority Service